- Federal policymakers create laws and regulations every day that impact retail. RetailPAC allows eligible employees from member companies to combine contributions and participate in the political process to create better business practices and policies.
- Our PAC has a simple, straightforward mission: to support the campaigns of candidates who are pro-growth, pro-business, pro-jobs — incumbents and newcomers — for the United States Senate and House of Representatives.
- The goal of RetailPAC is to build effective bipartisan coalitions in Congress on issues that matter to retail. The PAC is an important advocacy tool that creates opportunities for building relationships and engaging in conversations with candidates for office.
- Conversations through PAC events are one way to share retail’s story with members of Congress and candidates and effectively advocate for our business priorities. RetailPAC support is not conditioned on any single vote or policy; rather the PAC aims to support candidates for federal office who consistently support good government policies.
- As the world’s largest retail trade association and the voice of retail worldwide, NRF strives to represent retailers of all types and sizes to advance the objectives and bottom line of all our industry. One of the most important ways that we advocate for a pro-retail agenda is through our involvement in the political process, which affects all retailers.
- RetailPAC helps elect federal lawmakers who are committed to legislating fair and reasonable policies important to the retail industry as a whole.
- Competing industries and interest groups are contributing PAC funds and telling their story to candidates for office. Retail must be part of those conversations to ensure our voice is heard and our businesses are protected from risky polices.
America’s retailers support 42 million U.S. jobs, but awareness of our industry as a driver of economic growth is not where it needs to be in Washington.
What is the National Retail Federation’s Political Action Committee (RetailPAC)?
RetailPAC is a nonpartisan political action committee (PAC) registered with the U.S. Federal Election Commission (FEC). PACs allow eligible employees to pool personal, voluntary financial contributions. The contributions are used to support candidates seeking elective office who are supportive of issues important to the retail industry.
What is the mission of RetailPAC?
The mission of RetailPAC is to support the campaigns of pro-growth, pro-jobs candidates — incumbents and newcomers — for the United States Senate and House of Representatives. RetailPAC helps elect federal lawmakers who are committed to legislating fair and reasonable policies important to the retail industry.
Who can contribute to RetailPAC?
Unincorporated NRF Members: RetailPAC may ask for contributions from unincorporated business members, e.g., sole proprietorships, partnerships, and LLCs treated as partnerships, of the National Retail Federation.
Incorporated NRF Members: RetailPAC may also ask for contributions from the restricted class — high-level administrative, executive, management and professional personnel; stockholders; and the families of such individuals — of incorporated member companies, once the corporation has granted prior written approval for RetailPAC to solicit the restricted class. Prior written approval may be given by an authorized representative of a member company and may not be granted to more than one trade association per calendar year; an online form may be used for this purpose. You have the right to refuse to contribute without reprisal. Eligible employees also must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the United States to make or be solicited for contributions to the RetailPAC. Participation is completely voluntary and no one will be favored or disadvantaged because of the amount of a contribution or a decision not to contribute.
How much can an individual contribute to RetailPAC?
Individuals are allowed to contribute up to $5,000 per year to RetailPAC.
Is a tax benefit received by contributing to the RetailPAC?
Contributions to PACs are not deductible for income tax purposes.
How is RetailPAC administered?
RetailPAC is administered by a PAC Board of Directors. The Board of Directors governs according to a set of approved bylaws and provides guidance and approval for disbursements made to political candidates.
How much can RetailPAC contribute to candidates?
RetailPAC may contribute, by law, no more than $5,000 to a federal election (primary, general or runoff) and no more than $5,000 per year to a federal candidate’s Leadership PAC. State contribution limits vary.
Do you have questions regarding prior approvals?
Take a closer look at our NRF RetailPAC prior approval Q&As for more information.