Key Retail IT Themes in 2011
Optimization technologies on steroids. Retailers are now looking at the next generation of price, markdown and size optimization technologies to build on their existing capabilities.
RFID is back on track. It is increasingly being viewed as a solution to store-based inventory management and replenishment issues, rather than merely a supply chain solution.
Make the sale with multi-channel fulfillment. Retailers are investing to streamline their in-store and online merchandise assortments and inventory platforms in order to create a more seamless experience for the customer.
Growth of m-commerce. To capitalize on this fast-growing channel, retailers are investing in mobile-friendly sites, checkout and marketing capabilities, including location-based advertising.
Mitigate inflation with MLM. Retailers will face rising costs on all fronts in 2011; merchandise lifecycle management (MLM) is critical to mitigating cost pressures.
Take home more pay with workforce management. Volatile top-line trends and uncertainty about the economic environment are leading retailers to turn to technology to better align store staffing levels with sales. Expect retailers utilizing workforce management to better leverage topline growth to expand margin and drop more labor dollars to the bottom line.
Source: Citi Investment Research and Analysis
- The delight of a dinosaur: inspiration for improving the customer experience
- August is the Time to 'Keep That Drumbeat Going' on Internet Sales Tax
- Veteran Massachusetts Retailers President Honored for Service
- Three ways Macy’s has reduced friction for customers
- Expectations of stronger job growth should light a fire under retail sales for the rest of the year