European shoppers were worried that Austrian retailer Billa had gone bananas when they saw the fruit being sold peeled and wrapped in clear plastic.
Billa merchants were well-intentioned: They were trying to make bananas easier to eat, and publicized their efforts using social media. Consumers quickly took them to task, however, criticizing the retailer for a wrapping that seemed utterly without regard for the environment. And they made their displeasure known using the same social media.
Soon after the negative reaction began to pick up steam, Billa admitted they had slipped on the proverbial marketing banana peel and abandoned the idea.
- Monthly Economic Review: The importance of job openings and hiring data
- Revzilla reinvents the shopping experience for motorcycle enthusiasts
- Back-to-school trends update: A look at last-minute promotions
- Connecticut retailers make their mark on the state’s culture and communities
- Small business retail is a big deal in Massachusetts