Summer Internships at NRF
Floating Share Widget
Apply for internships in Washington, D.C., by April 13, 2018.
The National Retail Federation (NRF) is the world’s largest retail trade association, representing discount and department stores, home goods and specialty stores, Main Street merchants, grocers, wholesalers, chain restaurants and Internet retailers from the United States and more than 45 countries. Retail is the nation’s largest private sector employer, supporting one in four U.S. jobs – 42 million working Americans. Contributing $2.6 trillion to the annual GDP, retail is a daily barometer for the nation’s economy.
Why intern at NRF
- Internships are paid.
- Full-time (30-hours per week) and a limited number of part-time opportunities will be available. Most of our interns work during the summer months.
- Learn about areas of interest to you, such as government relations, communications and public affairs, accounting, member support/relations and more.
- Earn valuable experience. Work on projects both independently and as part of a team in a friendly, collegial environment.
- Gain a different perspective of retail and see what it’s like to be a champion for the industry.
The ideal intern is
- A rising sophomore, junior or senior.
- Has the ability to work independently on multiple projects with competing deadlines, yet comfortable with collaborating with others. Some days you’ll work independently, other days you’ll work with the team.
- A great communicator. Whether it’s a tweet, one-pager or short email - strong writing skills are a must.
- Knowledgeable of Excel spreadsheets, Microsoft Office Outlook, and social media platforms.
- Professional, positive and passionate attitude required.
- Manages morning media clips, updates media tracker with new placement, cleans up opt-out list, manages subscriptions and mail for Communications team.
- Assists with press registration for events.
- Reviews and edits advocacy media lists, assists with digital asset management by uploading, organizing, and tagging images and videos on BOX.
- Drafts social media copy for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to promote articles and other NRF materials. Coordinates and supports planning, execution, and follow up of events, committee meetings, email communications, and calls across NRF programs.
- Assists Vice Presidents with programming specific to marketing, digital retail, mobile, IT, loss prevention, security, and cybersecurity.
- Solves problems and handles requests with the supervision of the Communications staff.
- Works with the NRF Foundation team to position retail as a career opportunity to many audiences through marketing materials, content and storytelling.
- Helps reimagine the NRF Foundation Student Program with a new focus on tech students and careers.
- Assists with content creation, speaker outreach and attendee communication for a Fall 2018 event targeting workforce boards and nonprofits.
- Attends weekly NRF Foundation Gala meetings and assists with development, marketing, content creation and operational elements as needed.
- Captures and promotes stories of learners who went through the RISE Up program.
- Works with Foundation team to create content for The List of People Shaping Retail’s Future and The Visionary.
- Coordinates and writes draft copy for NRF Foundation’s digital communications.
- Promotes and markets the NRF job board.
- Assists with development of PowerPoint presentations.
- Helps with event logistics for Foundation events including Board meetings, committee meetings and staff meetings.
- Tracks and researches legislative issues and actions and other federal and state government affairs initiatives.
- Tracks, schedules and participates in organizing legislative visits.
- Shadows NRF policy experts to Capitol Hill meetings and committee meetings.
- Assists with the coordination of meetings, conferences, and events, including logistics planning, preparing materials, and compiling notes.
- Researches new partners and create an asset list with corresponding dollar value.
- Executes barter programs for selected shows.
- Identifies new/interesting brands, speakers or influencers that we should consider for our events.
- Supports the development of a marketing and education dashboard/snapshot.
- Assists the planning, creation and execution of e-mail marketing campaigns including creative development, copywriting targeting and list management, deployment and measurement.
- Works with team to develop digital and print creative with in-house design team.
- Supports the execution of website development including content uploads and edits.
- Participates in agency meetings (e.g. digital, brand or speaker agencies).
- Researches prospective and existing member companies; compile data and statistics to support outreach.
- Communicates with members through outreach communications.
- Assists in the preparation of materials for committee calls, webinars, staff meetings, in-person member meetings and other membership functions.
- Assists with weekly member news updates.
- Assists in programming surveys for a range of research undertakings
- Assists in analyzing and aggregating survey data files and reviewing outputs for accuracy
- Creates templates for summary of findings
- Assists in creating infographics and charts for data visualization
- Undertakes basic desktop research to address internal and external queries
- Researches current news and industry trends
How to Apply
Send a resume and one-page letter summarizing your interest and qualifications with the internship you’d like to apply for in the subject line of your email. Also, please reference the Summer Internship position in your cover letter, along with your area of interest.
Please e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) your application to: Human Resources, Vice President, NRF, 1101 New York Ave., NW, Suite 1200, Washington, DC 20005. NRF seeks to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff.
For further information about NRF, please visit www.nrf.com.
Who We Are
- Our Mission
- Careers at NRF
- NRF Foundation
- Board of Directors
- NRF Staff
- This is Retail
- Retail Means Jobs
- NRF FAQs
- Annual Reports
NRF made The Washington Post's list of Top Workplaces in D.C. for the second year in a row.
The true greatness of America cannot be realized when we build walls blocking the free flow of commerce in today’s… https://t.co/idia8ds0Bc1 day ago
Retail is a place of growth, opportunity and mentorship. Learn how retail has played an important role in Ro’s stor… https://t.co/nOI5X98qim1 day ago
Skills learned in retail can be used within multiple industries, see how these former retailers are using those ski… https://t.co/i0rIme2HJP2 days ago