Which is the most popular restaurant mega-chain in the United States?
If you guessed Subway, go ahead and reward yourself with the foot-long sandwich of your choice.
Last month Zagat released the findings of a survey measuring top players in the fast food realm. The annual survey of 274 national restaurant chains was based on the feedback of more than 10,500 diners, who reported eating at a chain restaurant an average of 9.4 times a month. Chains were divided into three main categories – mega-chains, large chains and quick refreshment -- and were rated on Zagat’s 30-point scale.
The top three mega-chains were Subway, Wendy’s and McDonald’s. In the large chains category, In-N-Out Burger, Panera Bread and Chipotle topped the list. Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts and Ben & Jerry’s led the pack among quick refreshment chains.
Zagat’s survey respondents also ranked their favorite menu items. Some of the winners included:
Best Burger: Five Guys
Best Fried Chicken: KFC
Best Grilled Chicken: Chick-fil-A
Best Fish: Long John Silver’s
Best French Fries: McDonald’s
Best Coffee: Starbucks
Best Breakfast Sandwich: McDonald’s
Best Healthy Options: Panera Bread
- Welcome to the neighborhood: Maryland retailers show off their state
- Why Americans must tell Congress to keep debit swipe fees in check
- Goodwill of Greater Washington evaluates program, promotion effectiveness with big data
- MailChimp gets real to understand customer experiences and challenges
- Fossil dives into data to fully engage customers