Luxury and creative gifts will reign this Mother's Day
How do consumers show their love and appreciation for mom? Typically it's a nice brunch, some flowers or maybe a homemade meal shared with the family. This year, mom is getting an iPad. Maybe even a diamond necklace. NRF's latest Mother's Day survey found that the average person will spend $140 on mom, with the biggest chunk of that going to luxurious items such as jewelry and consumer electronics. Those looking for more creative ways to spoil mom will seek out gardening tools, kitchenware and even spa treatments.
With Mother's Day just around the corner, here's a short list of how some retailers are bringing in shoppers buying for mom:
- From cameras to MP3 players and smartphones, Best Buy will be offering special holiday deals all weekend both in stores and online.
- Barnes & Noble is offering 75% off designer accessories for their e-Reader, nook, and up to 50% off some of mom's favorite DVDs. If mom prefers a Kindle, Amazon.com is offering special deals on Kindle as well.
- The Royal Wedding captured the hearts of people worldwide, and Zales is making it even easier for mom to look and feel like a princess this Mother's Day. Mom will feel like the queen of her castle with their "Royalty Inspired" sapphire rings, necklaces and earrings.
- Tiffany & Co. is offering complimentary Mother's Day shipping for all orders placed before noon today. Loved ones can even opt for custom engraving on mom's gold or sterling silver "Tiffany Yours" bracelets.
- For the mom with a green thumb, The Home Depot has special offers on hanging baskets and other gardening necessities. Lowe's is marketing everything from major appliances to two rose bushes for $10.
- Williams-Sonoma asked its current employees who are also moms for their thoughts on top gifts this year. From mixers to luxurious hand soap and lotion - even waffle makers - these women know what other women want.
- With pampering back in style, companies like Spafinder.com make it incredibly easy to still spoil mom from miles away. Instant gift certificates allow loved ones to treat mom to a spa service wherever and whenever she wants.
- How Nordstrom’s culture and values support career and company growth
- At Nordstrom, attracting top talent feeds an obsession with service and technology
- Small Business Spotlight: Stitch Factory
- Small business retail is a big deal in Massachusetts
- Connecticut retailers make their mark on the state’s culture and communities