Modernizing the Man Cave
Cloth & Metal
Costa Mesa, Calif.
Founder and CEO: Scott Sablan
A new men’s specialty store combines a carefully selected mix of apparel with an assortment of sophisticated audio systems and lifestyle accessories.
Cloth & Metal founder and CEO Scott Sablan developed the concept out of a love of “clothing, audio and flat-out cool, unique products.”
The words “cloth” and “metal,” he says, “give a subtle nod to the range of products we carry and to the honesty of the materials used in superior products.”
The store’s four walls are made of glass, and customers can enter from any side; the lone dressing room has a stone veneer outside, but inside is painted bright red to appeal to shoppers’ “sense of wonderment.” There’s also an updated rendition of a classic Sputnik chandelier over the denim bar.
Both the 700-sq.-ft. store and the website carry the same mix of about 400 SKUs representing select brands in denim, apparel and footwear, bags and accessories, grooming and electronics — products made in the United States, whenever possible.
“We’re trying to create a lifestyle environment,” says Sablan. “We want it to feel gritty but still refined. Imagine a mid-century modern man cave meets a nice custom closet.”
- Judge Rejects Retailers' Challenge to 'Ambush' Union Elections
- Congress Gives Highway Funding Another Short Kick Down the Road
- The delight of a dinosaur: inspiration for improving the customer experience
- August is the Time to 'Keep That Drumbeat Going' on Internet Sales Tax
- Veteran Massachusetts Retailers President Honored for Service