Why this Thanksgiving will be stuffed with digital deals
Although holiday shopping started early for millions of Americans, retailers are preparing for the big kick off to the holiday shopping season later this week. Now more than ever, online retailers are serving up for promotions on Thanksgiving Day itself. Driven by consumer demand, 46% of retailers are planning special Thanksgiving Day deals online as a part of their Black Friday weekend promotional plans. As an answer to retailers opening their doors on Thanksgiving Day, here are a few top digital trends to expect:
- Online-only promotions (including the kick off of standard free shipping) from pure play retailers
- Exclusive online-only deals from some multichannel retailers looking to differentiate on pricing from bricks-and-mortar stores on Thanksgiving Day
- Mobile-exclusive deals for retailers with mobile sites and apps
- Special partner promotions from brands including Bliss and EBay.
But why Thanksgiving? Building off of the momentum from last year, retailers expect high traffic from tablet and mobile devices to drive online shopping on Thanksgiving Day. Shoppers this year are expected to utilize the post-Turkey (or post-pie) time to either research for deals or start their holiday shopping. Armed with online-exclusive deals, retailers are helping consumers get a head start on holiday shopping with some of the most sought-after promotions – whenever they want and wherever they are. For Americans looking to skip the Black Friday rush, mobile options are another channel for shoppers to make a virtual dash for deals. So what promotions can consumers expect this Thanksgiving? Here are a few companies offering exclusive promotions that deal-seeking shoppers can be thankful for:
- Toys”R”Us: Toysrus.com will offer special online-only savings starting at 12:01am on Thanksgiving Day.
- Rue La La: The popular flash sale site plans to launch an online boutique called “The Holiday Dash” at 8 p.m. EST on Thanksgiving Day.
- jcpenney: jcpenney (JCP) decided to join-in on the seasonal fun by having it's only sale of the year on Black Friday. But JCP customers can take advantage of Black Friday prices by shopping online on jcp.com on Thanksgiving Day.
- EBay: The world’s leading marketplace plans to release hundreds of mobile-exclusive deals throughout the weekend, beginning at 5:23 pm Eastern on Thanksgiving Day.
- Amazon: While a big holiday push began on November 1st for the e-tailer, Amazon rolled out its Lightning Deals (limited time, limited quantity) to run from November 19 – November 24.
Whether it takes place on Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, or Cyber Monday, retailers have packed the upcoming weekend with some of the most innovative and exclusive deals of the year. And as the season goes on, Americans will continue to go mobile to finish their holiday shopping.
RT @scotwingo: Our Cyber Monday early read (#CyberMonday) is out: seeing 13.3% y/y growth, a bit behind TG/BF, but not a bad start: https:/…1 hour ago