The big numbers behind Retail's BIG Show 2013
Two weeks ago in New York, more than 27,600 retail professionals from around the world gathered to find solutions, network with their peers and move the retail industry forward, making this year’s show the largest Retail’s BIG Show in the event’s 102-year history. As you might imagine, it takes quite a bit of planning, hard work and cooperation to pull together a successful event of this size and scope, and it’s all overseen by a lean, mean NRF team of over 100 employees strong.
To put the size of the event in perspective, consider these numbers:
- 27,600 attendees
- 6,000 Krispy Kreme doughnuts delivered for attendees
- 82 countries represented. Outside of the U.S., the most attendees came from Brazil with 1,736 attendees. Countries sending 1 attendee included Kenya, Montenegro, Sri Lanka, Vanuatu and Zambia.
- 16,500 hotel room nights booked
- 50 shuttle buses making 2,850+ trips between hotels and the Javits Convention Center
- $21+ million in economic impact for New York City
- 125 educational sessions
- 298 speakers
- 1.25 miles of cable run for keynote sessions
- 4,277 hours of labor setting up, performing and breaking down keynote sessions
- 3.75 terabytes of data used to capture video from the event
- 500+ exhibitors
- 2.1 million pounds of EXPO Hall freight
- 8,740+ electrician man-hours for EXPO hall build and tear down
- 30 blog posts written onsite by NRF staff
After reviewing those numbers, you may have a better idea for how Retail’s BIG Show got its name. And the hard work, long hours and planning to the very last detail are worth it. The entire NRF staff works diligently to make this annual event bigger and better. Retail’s BIG Show kick starts the year for the industry, brings great business minds together, ignites partnerships and helps to spur the next great innovation. And each year, we’re reminded of what a powerful force retail is for driving job creation and revitalizing local communities – while also creating better customer experiences across the world.
This short recap video does a great job summarizing what Retail’s BIG Show is all about. Thanks so much for being a part of the biggest and best Retail’s BIG Show. We’ll see you in 2014!
- How Nordstrom’s culture and values support career and company growth
- At Nordstrom, attracting top talent feeds an obsession with service and technology
- Small Business Spotlight: Stitch Factory
- Small business retail is a big deal in Massachusetts
- Connecticut retailers make their mark on the state’s culture and communities