Floating Share Widget
NRF has been conducting its annual Back-to-School and Back-to-College surveys since 2003 to see how American families will shop for clothing, supplies and other items for the next school year.
The back-to-school and college shopping season is in full swing, but many parents and college students say they are waiting for the best deals to complete their shopping lists, according to NRF’s annual survey conducted by Prosper Insights and Analytics. Total spending for K-12 schools and college combined is projected to reach $82.8 billion, nearly as high as last year’s $83.6 billion.
While the time-honored tradition of picking out new backpacks, lunch boxes and planning first-day outfits may be the same, the way customers approach shopping for the season has changed in recent years. NRF's research team digs into the data to identify trends.
Click through the slideshow below for more insights into back-to-school season.
Watch the video below to learn more about how the back-to-school and back-to-college season will play out according to the data, from NRF's Director of Industry and Consumer Insights, Katherine Cullen.
A look back at 2017
- August consumer survey: More parents holding off on back-to-school shopping
- July consumer survey: Back-to-school and back-to-college spending to reach $83.6 billion
- Slideshow: Back-to-school and back-to-college
- Infographic: Back-to-class with NRF
- Article: Class is in session — 3 lessons for retailers this back-to-school season
- July consumer survey: Back-to-school and college spending to reach $75.8 billion
- August consumer survey: Families aren’t finished with back-to-school shopping
- Article and SlideShare: A look at 2016’s top trends
- Infographic: A closer look at back-to-school shopping
NRF’s annual Back-to-School and Back-to-College survey is released each year in July.
- Retail Library
- Annual Retailer Lists
- 4-5-4 Calendar
- Retail Technology Standards
- Retail Safety
- About retail jobs
- Consumer Research and Data
- Future of Retail
- Buying Guides