Where: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: February 28, 2019
The National Retail Federation (NRF) has represented retail for over a century. Every day, we passionately stand up for the people, policies and ideas that help retail thrive. As the nation’s largest private-sector employer, retail contributes $2.6 trillion to the annual gross domestic product (GDP). No other industry comes close. Wherever the industry goes, the nation follows — so we’re committed to helping retail go further.
- Earn valuable experience and make meaningful contributions. Work on projects both independently and as part of a team in a friendly, collegial environment.
- Learn about areas of interest to you, such as government relations, communications and public affairs, marketing and more.
- Gain insight and a different perspective of retail and see what it’s like to work for a team that celebrates, educates and inspires the retail industry.
- Internships are paid.
- Full-time (30-hours per week) and a limited number of part-time opportunities will be available. Interns will work June 10, 2019 – August 8, 2019.
- A rising sophomore, junior or senior.
- Able to work independently on multiple projects with competing deadlines, yet comfortable with collaborating with others. Some days you’ll work independently, other days you will be highly engaged in team work.
- A great communicator. Whether it’s a tweet, one-pager or short email - strong writing skills are a must.
- Knowledgeable of Excel spreadsheets, Microsoft Office Outlook, and social media platforms.
- Professional with a positive and passionate attitude.
Available Opportunities – What’s the best opportunity for you?
Communications & Public Affairs
- Manage morning media clips, update media tracker with new placement, clean up opt-out list, manage subscriptions and mail for Communications team.
- Assist with press registration for events.
- Review and edit advocacy media lists. Assist with digital asset management by uploading, organizing, and tagging images and videos on BOX.
- Draft social media copy for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to promote articles and other NRF materials. Coordinate and support planning, execution, and follow up of events, committee meetings, email communications, and calls across NRF programs.
- Assist Vice President with programming specific to marketing, digital retail, mobile, IT, loss prevention, security, and cybersecurity.
- Solve problems and handle requests with the supervision of the Communications staff.
- Track and research legislative issues and actions and other federal and state government affairs initiatives.
- Track, schedule and participate in organizing legislative visits.
- Shadow NRF policy experts to Capitol Hill meetings and committee meetings.
- Assist with the coordination of meetings, conferences, and events, including logistics planning, preparing materials, and compiling notes.
- Research new vendors, agencies, partners etc.
- Lead projects within the marketing team.
- Conduct competitive research.
- Identify new/interesting brands, speakers or influencers that we should consider for our events.
- Assist with the planning, creation and execution of e-mail marketing campaigns including creative development, copywriting, targeting and list management, deployment and measurement.
- Work with team to develop digital and print creative with in-house design team.
- Support the execution of website development including content uploads and edits.
- Participate in agency meetings (e.g. digital, brand or speaker agencies).
- Participate in brainstorming meetings.
Marketing — Graphic Design
- Develop email, creative, and build in email platform.
- Develop website creative and other digital assets (banner ads, social graphics etc.).
- Develop print collateral creative.
- Participate in daily creative review meetings and weekly production meetings.
- Assist production manager as needed and develop other creative as assigned.
- Participate in brainstorming meetings.
- Participate in agency meetings (e.g. digital, brand agencies).
- Build computers for new hires and temporaries.
- Set up user accounts.
- Audit user information in our Active Directory.
- Audit IT equipment inventory and license and troubleshoot Office 365.
Send a resume and one-page letter summarizing your interest, preferred internship position and qualifications. In the subject line of your email, please note the internship you’d like to apply for.
Please e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) your application to: Human Resources, Vice President, NRF, 1101 New York Ave., NW, Suite 1200, Washington, DC 20005. NRF seeks to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff.