Senior Director, Media Relations
Floating Share Widget
National Retail Federation’s dedicated staff of more than 100 makes an impact in the lives of retailers, retail employees and consumers every day, and our collaborative culture reflects the passion and innovation of the industry we serve. A career at NRF offers opportunities for learning, travel and professional growth.
NRF is seeking a Senior Director, Media Relations to join its Communications and Public Affairs department to develop and manage NRF’s industry media relations activities.
Do you love the thrill of working in a collaborative, fast-paced, results-driven environment? Are you a pro at building strong relationships with reporters that result in positive news coverage? Do you consider yourself a news junkie, keeping up on the latest trends and breaking stories? Are you the person your colleagues go to as the last set of eyes on a writing project? Do you love retail? If you answered yes to these questions, you could be the perfect fit for this job.
- Develops and pitches stories to key media contacts to promote the NRF brand and the industry
- Serves as a spokesperson for the organization on industry and consumer trends and research
- Works with research team to formulate key messages around the release of consumer surveys – including holiday and back-to-school
- Shapes strategy, creates messaging, and crafts industry responses during crisis and controversial industry-related situations
- Coordinates and schedules print and broadcast media interviews for NRF expert spokespeople
- Supervises all press-related components of NRF events, including Retail’s BIG Show
- Manages the development of media relations strategies for the NRF Foundation
- Provides information, updates and background materials to NRF members and staff on all media matters
- Conducts in-house media training for spokespeople; orchestrate and accompany execs on media tours
- Monitors economic trends, major indicators and consumer trends; keeps abreast of operational and merchandising trends in the retail industry
- Writes and distributes press releases, media alerts and other collateral material to respond to various economic indicators and retail trends, promote NRF positions on key issues, and promote scheduled NRF events and conferences
- Develops and updates NRF industry/trade and consumer media press lists, and develops routine activities to cultivate and maintain relationships with media contacts
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Communications/Journalism or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience in agency or media organization or similar function in another organization, preferably with a retail/business focus
- Established relationships with retail and business reporters
- Experience as a spokesperson
- Experience analyzing, distilling and communicating data (consumer data preferred).
- Experience interacting with and briefing high-level executives and CEOs
- Ability to develop and pitch ideas/stories to media and to communicate effectively and persuasively in a variety of environments
- Knowledge of Cision or other media contact management software, MS Office and WordPress
- Initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong writing, editing and grammar skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Some travel required
How to apply
To apply, send your resume and one-page letter summarizing your interest, qualifications and salary expectations. Please reference the Senior Director, Media Relations position in your cover letter. Email your application to email@example.com, Attention: Director, Human Resources, NRF, 1101 New York Ave., NW, Suite 1200, Washington, DC 20005
National Retail Federal offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes focus on work/life satisfaction and balance. NRF seeks to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled and collaborative staff.
Find out how the retail industry impacts jobs, income and GDP in your state. View the map and check out the data.
NRF made The Washington Post's list of Top Workplaces in D.C. for the second year in a row.