The NRF Privacy Committee is composed of senior retail executives and counsels in the government relations, legal and regulatory compliance departments within NRF retail member companies who are responsible for company operations that affect the privacy and security of consumer information.
When participating on the Privacy Committee, members are asked to select one or more of the following three subcommittees in which they would like to participate, provided they meet the eligibility requirements specified below.
NRF Privacy Committee’s Subcommittees
Privacy Working Group (PWG)
As the principal group for all privacy and data security issues, the PWG reviews trending privacy and data security issues at the federal and state level. Members also advise the Government Relations Policy Council on proposed federal privacy and data security legislation and regulations. The PWG develops and submits testimony, letters, and comments to Congress, federal departments, and independent agencies like the Federal Trade Commission for their consideration.
- Meetings: The PWG connects virtually three times per month, and once per year in-person in Washington, D.C., for the annual NRF Spring Privacy Meeting held the same week as the IAPP Global Privacy Summit. This popular event permits serval dozen members to meet with other privacy leaders within NRF retail member companies.
- Eligibility: This group is open to senior retail executives and counsels in the government relations, legal and regulatory compliance departments within NRF retail member companies.
Global Privacy Task Force (GPTF)
This task force reviews global data protection regulatory proposals and develops comments for submission to international governmental institutions, typically in the European Union (EU). It also plans and participates in NRF’s annual delegation trip to Brussels to discuss the GDPR and other EU data and e-commerce regulations with senior EU and U.S. officials.
- Meetings: The GPTF meets virtually once per month. Task force members are also invited to participate in the optional annual EU delegation trip to Brussels.
- Eligibility: This task force task force requires retail experience in EU data protection compliance or advocacy efforts. NRF will review prospective member applications to determine if approved for a subcommittee.
Privacy Professionals Task Force (PPTF)
The PPTF is an expert advisory group designed for privacy professionals who wish to work closely with the NRF’s Government Relations team to develop a new customer-centric approach to data privacy regulation as a federal model for U.S. businesses.
- Meetings: This group connects on a periodic basis only when it is engaged in special projects such as the development of privacy models and other materials to support the PWG and Government Relations Policy Council efforts on privacy or data security legislation or regulations.
- Eligibility: Participation in this task force requires extensive retail legal or regulatory compliance experience; privacy professional certification is appreciated but not required for participation. NRF will invite members of the PWG to join this task force and will review prospective member applications to determine if approved for participation.
To join the NRF Privacy Committee or a subcommittee, or to learn more about NRF’s government relations resources, please fill out the form below. This committee is led by NRF’s VP and Senior Policy Counsel, Paul Martino.
NRF will review prospective member applications to determine if approved for a subcommittee. In addition, please note the Privacy Professionals Task Force (PPTF) is an invite-only committee.
NRF Privacy Committee interest form
Dive deeper into NRF privacy resources
NRF government relations resources
March 10, 2021 Global Privacy Task Force Meeting materials: NRF - Dentons Presentation - Canadian Privacy Law; Dentons CCPA In - Depth Guide
February 3, 2021 Privacy Working Group Meeting materials: NRF - Alston & Bird Presentation
Interested in joining?
Interested in joining a council, but unsure which one is right for you or unsure of your company’s membership status? We want you to be part of our retail community. Connect with the team today at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.