NRF has been conducting its annual back-to-school and back-to-college surveys since 2003 with Prosper Insights & Analytics to see how American families will shop for clothing, supplies and other items for the next school year. Check out the resources below for a deep dive into the 2023 back-to-class season.
The first day of class is only days or weeks away for many, and consumers of all ages are still prepping for the school year. We already know consumers are planning to spend at record levels this back-to-class season, but as the season comes to a close, how are people finishing up their preparations for the start of classes? Read our blog post to get a glimpse into the back-to-class shopping home stretch.
Consumers are expected to spend record amounts for both back-to-school and back-to-college shopping this year. Back-to-school spending is expected to reach an unparalleled $41.5 billion, up from $36.9 billion last year and the previous high of $37.1 billion in 2021. Back-to-college spending is expected to hit $94 billion, about $20 billion more than last year’s record. Watch the webinar.
Slideshow: Click through the interactive slideshow for insights from NRF and GfK on generational and back-to-class trends.
Check out back-to-school vs. back-to-college spending habits of consumers this season.
Press release: Families prioritize back-to-school spending amidst inflation
Video: 2022 Back-to-school trends
Slides: 2022 Retail overview
- Article: A summer snapshot of back-to-school trends
- Podcast: A look at back-to-school 2021 consumer research
- Press release: 2021 Brings back-to-class shopping to record levels
- Video: 2021 Back-to-school trends
- Article: How brands can use social to connect with Gen Z
- Press release: Coronavirus could push back-to-school spending to record level
August survey: Back-to-school shopping update: Halfway done but more to do
- July survey: Back-to-school and college spending to reach $82.8 billion
- August consumer survey: Back-to-Class shopping continues as school begins
- Podcast: How Gen Z shapes back-to-school shopping
- Slideshow: Top trends for 2018 back-to-school and college shopping
- Spotlight: Hispanic back-to-school shoppers
- July consumer survey: Back-to-school and back-to-college spending to reach $83.6 billion
- August consumer survey: More parents holding off on back-to-school shopping
- Article: Class is in session — 3 lessons for retailers this back-to-school season
- Infographic: Back-to-class with NRF
- Slideshow: Back-to-school and back-to-college
- July consumer survey: Back-to-school and college spending to reach $75.8 billion
- August consumer survey: Families aren’t finished with back-to-school shopping
- Article and SlideShare: A look at 2016’s top trends
- Infographic: A closer look at back-to-school shopping